Sunday 17 July 2016

Are smoothies BAD for you?

HELLO!


Before I start my post proper, Id like to tell you that I've had a very interesting weekend as one of my Facebook posts has gone viral (8000+ likes and counting). I think this link will take you to it
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206867469303254&set=a.2443051593649.141455.1172617938&type=3&theater

I have had many people say that they like it (over 8000 to date), but I have also witness the ugly side of social media with various keyboard warriors threatening my life and also saying that they are going to destroy my online reputation.... (I didn't know I had one)

Its been a while, hasn't it! I'm sorry that I have been a little neglectful of my blog recently. This has been due to the fact that I have recently started a new job, and, frankly, I've been a bit knackered (tired).

Before I started my new job, I was away in Spain for a week, and I am happy to report that The smoothie message is starting to filter through to them there. I was able to buy wheat grass, stevia, good fresh broccoli, spinach, bananas and berries. Luckily, the apartment that I was staying in had a rudimentary blender.
one of the smoothie shops on my holiday


There was also a few places that sold smoothies, although they were probably not the most healthy ones that I have ever had.
Me enjoying a smooooooothie in the sunshine

This has inspired me to report on some items that I have seen that ask whether smoothies are actually bad for you!

Here is a link to such a report http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2414871/Smoothies-BAD-Fruit-juices-packed-sugar-better-having-vegetable-drinks-say-scientists.html

I was worried when I saw the headline, possibly due to my innate distrust of the British press and their inability to be fair or balanced. (but that's a separate issue).

So, ARE they bad for you?

The answer is yes AND no. It depends what you put in them.

We all know that spinach is good for you, however if you cook that spinach in milk and then cover it with cheese, there is going to be a few more calories than if it were just poached in water. Its all a matter of using your ingredients properly.

The trick is, don't buy pre-made smoothies and that will mean that you can control the contents of your drink.

The most important part of the smoothie is the base


Unhealthy Smoothie Bases

We’ll start with the liquid base of your smoothieand what you want avoid like the plague.

Sugar laden fruit juices: Most fruit juices sold in our super-markets are nothing more than flavoured sugar water. Stay away from anything that is from concentrate.

Regular milk: Store bought milk (whether skimmed, semi-skimmed or whole) comes from cows that are often mistreated, given hormones and antibiotics, and over milked. Chalk and pus have also been detected in milk. Not to mention that the poor cows are chemically forced to keep producing milk long after their calves have been taken away from them. I would suggest that you use organic almond milk or coconut milk

Tap water: Recent studies have revealed a plethora of undesired substances in regular old tap water. This includes, but is not limited to, trace amounts of pharmaceutical drugs, lead and arsenicperchlorate (a toxic chemical found in rocket fuel), sucralose, and many other man-made chemicals. Use coconut water or a vegetable with a high water content like cucumber

Most bottled water: Most mainstream bottled water is nothing more than glorified tap water. Pepsi even admitted that Aquafina comes from tap water. I suggest that you use coconut water.

It's all a matter of using you own judgement. If something is considered to be unhealthy on its own, it doesn't follow that it will be any less unhealthy once it is in a smoothie.

Unhealthy Smoothie Ingredients

Now onto the list of smoothie ingredients that I wouldn’t add into my blender if you paid me. An exhaustive list isn’t practical, but I’ll hit on the more obvious offenders.
  • Ice cream and sherbet
  • Chocolate syrups and powders – think Nestle
  • Sugar as a sweetener
  • Agave nectar
  • Most store bought honey
  • Non-organic peanut butters (Sun-Pat)
  • Cheap protein powders
  • Chocolate pudding mix
  • Cool Whip or whip cream
  • Cream soda
At the end of the day, just use a little common sense in determining what not to add to your smoothie.

Healthy smoothie of the day


GREEN TEA FRUITY MONSTER




Ingredients


  • 2 cups frozen unsweetened mixed fruit, preferably peaches and pineapple
  • 1 cup cold unsweetened green tea
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preparation

  1. Combine fruit, tea, honey and lemon juice in a blender. Blend until smooth and frothy. Serve immediately.

Nutrition

Per serving: 106 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 23 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fibre; 2 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (79% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate


HAVE A GREAT DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment