Wednesday 20 January 2016

REPORTS SUGGEST THAT 2016 IS A BIT CR*P

Don't worry about it though, this is the year that we can turn it all around. This is the year where our mid-life crisis can be transformed into a mid-life triumph.



The giddy new year enthusiasm has now abated and we are halfway through a cold, wet January and our thoughts are now turning towards hunkering down in our snug, warm homes and banishing the cold. (Unless you live somewhere like Australia or Brunei or somewhere else warm as I know some of you do).



I think that I have now probably told you enough about how I came to the point of wishing to improve my life, so let me now tell you about some of decisions that I made and all the research that I did after I had come to the realisation that my belly had expanded as far as I wanted it to, like a red giant star that had expanded to the point where it's gravity causes it to collapse in on its-self.



I started my quest by simply going on-line and then typing the following into my browser.

"Diet for a 47 Year Old man"

Strangely enough there were a few options that came up such as this one 


There are a lot of us middle aged fellas around, and we are at a very strange age.

It becomes increasingly difficult for us to shift excess weight due to our innate deep-seated  inability to give a damn about anything and we also have to deal with a decrease in our muscle density.

I've mentioned before how cruel nature can be.

Back in the late 80's and the 90's we all had the chance to have wash-board stomachs, and still be able to eat and drink whatever we all want, and only do a modicum of exercise to stay trim and handsome.

THOSE DAYS ARE NOW GONE.



The handsome bit is obviously not a problem for me (he said, bashfully), but I took a walk along the canal in my village today and was overcome by an immense wave of mid-life grumpiness brought on by the ankle-deep mud where the brilliant, blinding winter sunlight had melted the frosty ground.
Whereas, wherever there were shadows, the rock-hard ground that had previously be churned up was still frozen solid and so uneven that it was turning my ankles into mincemeat.


I arrived back home, with the bottom part of my sensible trousers covered in  black, viscous mud and as I crouched at my front door, untying my sodden shoe-laces, I felt the grumpiness slowly building in my head, like a pan of milk that is just about to boil over. 

Now I can't presume to speak for all men of my age, but hopefully, I have just explained the problem that we all have, all we wish for is an easy existence, a nice quiet life without any irritants.

One of those irritants could be that we find it too difficult to control our weight.

My biggest issue with the diet industry is that there are no diets that have been designed specifically for men of my age, so I decided to take my dietary life into my own hands.

My friend John, who I have mentioned many times in previous blog posts, has radically changed his life in the last few years. This was due to a major medical scare that happened to him a few years ago.
I think he will admit that he was carrying a few extra pounds, but that was not the reason that he had to change to a healthier life, unlike myself.

To his credit, he did an awful lot of research and discovered a type of food called SIRT FOODS and  wrote a fascinating book on the subject.


I was incredibly impressed by his diligence and titanic levels of research and so, as his old friend, I feel it is only fair that I use his hard work to tell you about how SIRT FOODS are the way forward for people of my age.

What are SIRT FOODS?

So-called "sirt rich foods" can activate proteins in the body called sirtuins.

Sirtuins regulate biological processes like aging, cellular death, inflammation and metabolism, and  can even protect cells from harm when they are under stress.

According to research, sirtfoods can copy the effects of fasting and exercise, can increase the speed of weight loss, and counterbalance the effects of junk food. (but please don't use that as an excuse to shot-gun a 15" quattro formaggi pizza every day)  

I realise that this sounds too good to be true, but if you read John's book, you will understand why I have become so enamoured of it.

Here is a link so that you download it to your kindle/ Tablet with the kindle app


This also includes all of his other books.

The Media are also becoming aware of sirt foods too. I usually am not keen on the tabloids, but the following is quite a good item.


By now, I can hear your hoots of confusion and dismay. "Hang on!" I hear you say. "I thought this blog was about smoothies, not about a new concept in food science"

You are correct, this blog IS about smoothies, but it is also about tracking my journey into a very confusing time of my life, when I am becoming very aware that my younger years have come to a juddering and permanent end, like a bulldozer that has hit a gas main.

'sirtfoods' include olives, onions, kale, cocoa and green tea, You can mix these foods with others like cherries, pears, Bananas, baby leaf spinach. The main thing is that these foods can help you lose weight, and can stop you from putting the weight back on again.

NOW TELL ME THAT DOESNT SOUND LIKE SOME KIND OF MAGIC

Here is a great smoothie recipe I made that I call the Jaffa monster
1 x easy peel clementine (with half the peel)
1 x tsp pure cacao
1 x banana
1 x tblsp fat free yoghurt...
1 x handful baby spinach
1 x tblsp milled oats and chia seed
top up with coconut milk
it is absolutely lovely, I'm not sure about the nutritional values, but its probably better for you than a packet of Jaffa cakes.


2 comments:

  1. Great entry Ian, you grumpy old git. Tip for ya, Outside wet & Muddy, inside Dry & Snug......BUY SOME BOOTS!!!!;) Thanks for the plug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still younger than you, John ....haha thanks

    ReplyDelete